Beware: These are very very messy!
First: Gather the ingredients!
First, make the cake batter, same as what the box says
Then, divide the batter into either 5 or 6 different bowls
Then, add the gel food coloring to each bowl and mix
Scoop about a 1 Tablespoon into the mini cupcake tins
Bake for about 11 minutes
Let them cool and then place them on a wire rack to cool for a good while.
When the rest are baking, make the filling. Beat the marshmallow creme, butter and powdered sugar in a mixer, or use a hand mixer
Blend until fluffy
When the cupcakes are all cool, (make sure they are cool enough or you will have trouble), Cut the tops of the cakes off
Take the tops and add the filling in between each sandwich
Keep the cupcake bottoms for another project, or just have them as snacks!
It makes about 30 little cupcake popper sandwiches!
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
- 1/4 teaspoon each gel or liquid food colors (neon pink, neon purple, neon orange, neon green, classic blue)
- 1 1/2 cups marshmallow creme
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 60 mini muffin cups. Make cake batter as directed on box. Divide batter among 5 small bowls, about 3/4 cup each. Make 5 different colors of batter by adding 1/4 teaspoon food color to each bowl; blend well.
- 2. Fill each muffin cup with 1 level measuring tablespoon batter, making 12 cupcakes of each color.
- 3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely, about 10 minutes.
- 4. In large bowl, beat marshmallow creme and butter with electric mixer on medium speed until blended. Beat in powdered sugar until fluffy. Divide frosting among 5 small bowls, about 1/3 cup each.
- 5. Assemble each popper using 2 mini cupcakes. Cut tops off each cupcake horizontally (save bottoms for another use). Spread or pipe about 1 tablespoon frosting on cut side of 1 cupcake top. Form a sandwich by placing cut side of second cupcake top on frosting; press lightly. Repeat with remaining cupcake tops. Store loosely covered.